LISTSERV Archives

TECHNET Home

TECHNET  July 2009

TECHNET July 2009

Re: Solder Paste test method mods

Graham Naisbitt <[log in to unmask]>

TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Graham Naisbitt <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 29 Jul 2009 13:48:36 +0100

text/plain

Richard and Inge

These tests which, like all Test Methods, you can download free from
the IPC web site, are intended to be used by the manufacturers of
solder paste to give you, the user, a minimum expectation that the
stuff is any good.

The method in question employs an alumina substrate (specimen) onto
which the paste sample is printed. The specimen is then placed onto a
preheated hot plate, reflowed and then examined to check out: wetting,
spread, solder balling and slump.

As none of them cater for lead-free alloys - yet - we are trying to
lay down new methods and one of these is, as I mentioned, reflow shall
occur within 20 seconds of hot plate contact and the proposal is 30
seconds for lead-free.

Why? Because it has been suggested that the lead-free pastes, because
of the higher melt temperature, use higher boiling point additives in
the flux.

So - I am curious to know the views on this both from the paste
manufacturers stand-point and the end user.

I sometimes marble at Dewey's witisisms.....and then chalk them down
to experience.

Regards

Graham Naisbitt

Email: [log in to unmask]