TECHNET Archives

July 2009

From:
Frank Kimmey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Frank Kimmey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Jul 2009 09:33:47 -0700
After many years as an auto mechanic (previous career) I learned one important rule.

EVERY SIXTH PART IS A SPARE (meant as not required)

It was meant as kind of a joke but we saw all too often how real it was.
Many times there are parts used to hold during assembly or sub-assembly that are not really needed once the vehicle is completed.
You try to figure where that screw came from and just don't seem to be able to find it.
Auto Engineers seem to get a sadistic kick out of designing little things into cars that make mechanics (both professional and amateur) crazy.

That said, I also realize they design extremely well within their constraints and now that I work in Engineering no longer want to torture them for all the years of torture I got while trying to repair cars.
Also if you save all those extra parts you have a great selection to work with when trying to kluge something together.

Just being glad I don't work on cars anymore,
FNK

Frank N Kimmey CID+
Manager - PCB Design
Global Product Development