DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

July 2009

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
DesignerCouncil <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Jul 2009 09:41:37 -0500
From:
Susy Webb <[log in to unmask]>
Hi Jack,

The problem with the IPC statement is that it ONLY takes into account the manufacturing reasons to hatch the planes, and does not take into account the electrical reasons NOT to hatch a plane.

At speeds somewhere before 1 MHz, signals begin to travel through the board as transmission lines which means (basically) that the signal travels on a signal layer and the return current travels on the nearest copper (usually a plane whether power, ground, or no connect). If the (return) plane is cut into a hatched area, then the return current is constantly crossing those little "splits" in the plane or manuvering around them and that can be very, very bad for signal integrity. In really slow speed designs, it does not matter..... that's why so many of us used that practice a long, long time ago, but with today's signal speeds... even the slow ones... going a lot faster than they used to in the old days, it may be a problem.

At what speed hatched planes will affect the signals on any given board is based on many things, but the bottom line is that it is probably best not to use a hatched plane as a return current layer (whether internal or external) on any board unless you are very sure of what you are doing. So the bottom line is (IMHO) that the IPC statement should have the caveat that the large areas of planes might be hatched IF it does not affect the electrical characteristics and signal integrity of the board.

Thanks,
Susy