TECHNET Archives

June 2009

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jun 2009 08:44:28 +0300
Yes, obviously the US energy is dissipated as heat, but the temperature
rise will be only a few degrees and the pressure build-up not very
significant. Jars such as are used for bottling fruit and veggies are
designed to withstand much greater pressures during sterilisation.

Notwithstanding, as others have said, light alcohols are HOPELESS for
degreasing; when I wrote what I did, I wrongly assumed the contaminant
was alcohol-soluble.

If the parts are ferrous or amphoteric, aqueous cleaning could also have
its issues, in which case, the solvent of choice would be halogenated.
My personal preference (all legal requirements apart) would be
stabilised trichloroethylene which has been given an undeserved bad name
by ignorant authorities and vested interests. That having been said, it
is toxic and needs to be handled with the usual precautions.

Brian