TECHNET Archives

June 2009

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Jun 2009 09:10:12 +0300
The thing that shocks me is not the desire to distill IPA but the fact
that you USE IPA before conformal coating. It is not a good defluxer.

Distillation is not easy. The Black Foresters gather cherries and put
them in large tubs for a few weeks and then distill the fermented juice.
They never get pure alcohol, but a deliciously perfumed eau-de-vie
called Kirschwasser with a distinct aroma of the cherries it was derived
from. Why? Because of azeotropes. Even a mixture of ethanol and water
will not distill into pure alcohol but into a mixture of about 96% EtOH.
Rudy mentions esters; these are the reaction products between alcohols
and acids and it is what gives Kirschwasser its aroma and flavour.
Esters usually form azeotropes with alcohols and it is not impossible
for raw organic acids to do so as well. So distillation may remove most
of the rosin but the resultant juice may not be brilliant as a safe
defluxer, possibly even worse than not cleaning at all.

Apart from which, alcohol vapours and air can form a highly explosive
mixture. H&S regulations would require you to install such a still in an
explosion-proof bunker KABOOOOM!

Brian