TECHNET Archives

June 2009

From:
John Burke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, John Burke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jun 2009 15:42:09 -0700
Just a little food for thought.

While we are busily falling into line with materials policy dictates from
Europe based on the precautionary principal, I thought you might find it
interesting to see what is taking place in Europe with total disregard for
the same principal.

As you are probably aware the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) project blew up
last year during commissioning. The collider is able to collide particles
with energy levels up to I believe 17TeV, and is in the process of being
repaired prior to re-commissioning.

At this power the scientists involved are expecting to find new particles
and are also anticipating the production of 5 dimensional black holes as an
outcome.

The attached reference link is to the high energy particle physics site. The
paper entitled "On the Possibility of Catastrophic Black Hole Growth in the
Warped Brane-World Scenario at the LHC" Describes the "likely" size of such
black holes and assures that they are not liable to reach a "critical mass"
of 100Kg - at which point presumably everything in the area would be sucked
into said black hole swiftly followed by the rest of the solar
system.....they did not probe that scenario...

Here are the links:

http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/arxiv/pdf/0901/0901.2948v2.pdf

and...

http://arxiv.org/abs/0901.2948

No I am not joking this is a real paper on a real site - and I for one just
hope that their assumptions and math about particles they have never seen
are correct.

So much for the "precautionary principal"!

John Burke