TECHNET Archives

June 2009

From:
Doug Schueller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Doug Schueller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jun 2009 08:22:35 -0500
Doug:

I am not aware of any papers on the issue, but we do compliant pinning
through conformal coat every day, and it is quite reliable and repeatable,
provided that the hole size is correctly specified, the plating thicknesses
are correct, the conformal coat is applied to the correct thickness, and
above all, the pin is designed to be used with conformal coating.

One big advantage is that masking and unmasking is minimized. Disadvantages
are that opens and FOD can occur if the any of the coating thicknesses get
out of whack.

Let me know if you want to discuss further.

Regards,

The other Doug

Douglas Schueller
Technology Support and Development Manager
IPC-Certified EMS Program Manager
AbelConn, LLC
763-536-3612
www.abelconn.com