TECHNET Archives

June 2009

From:
"Liu, Edwin" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Liu, Edwin
Date:
Wed, 3 Jun 2009 10:26:34 +0800
 If you didn¡¯t know, both interfaces USB and FireWire are preparing to release new iterations of their interfaces; Firewire will go ¡°3200¡å and USB will move from 2.0 to 3.0. That begs a few questions: what¡¯s so special about the new interfaces and which one is better?

So, its fairly common knowledge that the majority of computer users are much more acquainted with USB than they are FireWire. Somewhere along technology adoption train, someone decided the world needed USB more than FireWire.

And here we are. However, its very important that the masses know the distinction between USB and FireWire, and why USB might not be the only good method for data transfer.

What is USB all about? USB, or Universal Serial Bus, is in everything, and you¡¯ll never be short of a data transfer interface. The current USB 2.0 claims to transfer data at 480 Mbps. Those are the perks.

On the flip side, there¡¯s FireWire. Many common computer users might never see a FireWire cable; professionals and Mac owners tend to be more familiar with the technology. Right now, there are two versions of FireWire in use; FireWire 400 and 800. If you¡¯re catching on to the number scheme by now, you might guess that FireWire 400 transfers at 400 Mbps and 800 transfers at 800 Mbps.

Where¡¯s the difference, aside from speed? FireWire delivers about 97% of the performance it claims, where USB tends to deliver substantially less¡­maybe half of what it promises. This is mainly because FireWire operates largely on its own, using very little processor power. It runs on a peer 2 peer setup rather than the master to slave setup of USB.

USB speeds depend largely on the hardware and software configurations of the computer transferring the information. The end result is substantially lower speeds than promised on the part of USB than those promised by FireWire.

FireWire also is capable of transferring more data simply because the cables can handle a larger data load. Not to mention FireWire cables can reach up to 100 meter lengths, where USB cables are drastically smaller, according to ArsTechnica  .

You might wonder, if that is the case, why isn¡¯t everyone using FireWire? It is really only because it isn¡¯t widely adopted. As of now, most computers aside from Macs don¡¯t have FireWire incorporated.

Looking to the future, The IEEE 1394 Trade Association recently announced the next iteration of FireWire, called S3200, is supposed to debut sometime next year. USB 3.0 is also supposed to surface sometime next year.

Here¡¯s the twist: USB 3.0 promises a data transfer rate of 4.8 Gbps, where FireWire 3200 promises to deliver 3.2 Gbps. Though one might hope that USB has worked out the discretionary issues with promised speed compared to delivered speed, no assurances have been made; FireWire 3200, on the flip side, promises to deliver 97% of the total advertised rate.

Additionally, it is worth noting that FireWire 3200 will be based off of the hardware technology currently used by FireWire 800, so users currently equipped with that technology won¡¯t have to change a thing to utilize FireWire 3200; USB 3.0 adopters will need to switch hardware.

Which one is right for you? If you need the full promised data transfer rate, you¡¯re probably better off siding with FireWire in this battle; if you aren¡¯t a data junkie, stick with USB.

Thank you

Edwin