TECHNET Archives

June 2009

From:
Mike Fenner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 5 Jun 2009 09:59:15 +0100
A number of causes have been speculated especially including the airplane management software which is very large number of lines and complex due to highly automated nature of plane (the complaint usually directed at Airbus but not for some reason Boeing)
The CAA (UK equivalent to FAA) has gone for the hypothesis that the most likely cause was fuel starvation caused by minute traces of water in fuel freezing in engine feed pipe and blocking flow. This is thought to happen on very long (polar) flights. The proposed long term rectification is to change the design of heater used to warm pipes. In the short term airlines have been advised to break the continuous long flight and to allow time for thawing and to check this by giving some revs (I paraphrase)to clear out any ice particles before landing.
So nothing to do with lead-free, software or anything else ultra complex high tech, just basic plumbing/frozen pipes.

Regards

Mike