TECHNET Archives

May 2009

From:
Mike Fenner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 27 May 2009 15:40:22 +0100
Hmm kind of long established process.
IMHO
Assuming this is a new problem on established process the most likely answer
is insufficient cleaning and most likely cause is process control.
RMA flux looks quite bad after high humidity, it effloresces to large off
white deposits, look like dry rot fungi similar to your pic. Part removed
flux behaves the same.
Try touching with a hot iron or blow with hot air and see what happens.
Break some components off cold and see what you have underneath and then do
same.
If deposits stay same appearance then likely you are growing Ag migration
from component terminations in conductive path left by ionics from redcued
cleaning efficiency under device.
Either way solution is same just a matter of degree.
What is your process control measure for cleaning process?

Regards

Mike