TECHNET Archives

May 2009

From:
Date:
Wed, 20 May 2009 10:20:17 -0500
Hi, Eric
If you think about it, a maximum will force the pad-edge to pad-edge
spec to go out of tolerance, as the pitch must remain a minimum with
respect to each other. That is why we all agreed a minimum pitch spacing
was appropriate. Pad diameter has to remain within spec also. But I
totally agree with the CpK approach; it should be applied to all of the
attributes (pad diameter, connecting trace width, finished via diameter,
copper thickness after etching, pitch, and co-planarity of finished
copper pads.

When you get into the business of performing ball attachment using
automated processes with laser, you quickly realize just how much slop
there is in the BGA industry. It has improved quite a bit due to the
interaction with TI, Intel, Raytheon, etc, etc.
Very little in the way of usable standards within JEDEC, especially for
flipchips and CSPs. But that just underscores what you stated about the
need for properly toleranced drawings.