TECHNET Archives

May 2009

From:
"Kane, Amol (349)" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Kane, Amol (349)
Date:
Fri, 1 May 2009 10:07:20 -0400
We have seen this exact phenomenon (as depicted in pics 2, 3 and 4, though not as acute as the one depicted in pic 1) on thermally challenging LF BGA board. The culprit is a combination of too little flux in the solder deposit (due to the deposit size) and too long soak. The little flux that's in the deposit burns off during the soak and the oxide layer on the solder sphere does not allow them to coalesce and dissolve in the bulk solder. In our case we could minimize it by reducing the soak on the profile