TECHNET Archives

May 2009

From:
Graham Naisbitt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Graham Naisbitt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 May 2009 17:05:20 +0100
Having already packed up for the week-end but NOT using Wikipaedia I
have this:

1	Einsteinium does not occur naturally in any measurable quantities.
The modern process of creating the element starts with the irradiation
of plutonium-239

Plutonium-239 is an isotope of plutonium. Plutonium-239 is the primary
fissile isotope used for the production of nuclear weapons, although
uranium-235 has also been used and is currently the secondary
isotope....
in a nuclear reactor for several years. The resulting plutonium-242
isotope (in the form of the compound plutonium(IV) oxide) is mixed
with aluminium and formed into pellets. The pellets are then further
irradiated for approximately one year in a nuclear reactor. Another
four months of irradiation is required in a different reactor. The
result is a mixture of californium
Californium

Californium is a metallic chemical element with the symbol Cf and
atomic number 98. A Radioactive decay transuranic element, californium
is used in starting nuclear reactors, optimizing coal-fired power
plants and cement production facilities , medical treatment of cancer,
and oil exploration via down hole well logging....
and einsteinium, which can then be separated.

2	Strontium

Happy Friday

Graham Naisbitt

Email: [log in to unmask]