TECHNET Archives

May 2009

From:
"Stewart, Dougal" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Stewart, Dougal
Date:
Thu, 14 May 2009 18:24:33 +0100
The pcb industry still survives, and thrives, in Europe, albeit smaller than
it was 10 years ago. I cannot answer for the CEMs as many have closed shop
and moved steadily eastwards. I think that Europeans are focussed on
maintaining their niche business, so may be less prepared to transfer
knowledge, or are simply too busy to be able to contribute (I write this at
6.20pm after starting work at 7.45am). IPC, as we were recently reminded
when we wanted some input on UL charges, is a standards organisation, and we
thank them for this, but the Europeans have their own standards in some
areas (such as lead free soldering), so we have other fish to fry.

(comments may not reflect those of my employer or the industry at large)

regards
Dougal