TECHNET Archives

May 2009

Date:
Wed, 13 May 2009 17:47:14 EDT
Conventional 6,6 Nylon which has alternating A & B components, each  with a
6 carbon backbone, is often drawn after hot melt spinning to 'set' the
properties. After the drawing, that's it. One of the military aspects of this
drawing in WW2 was the use of undrawn nylon ropes to pull the loaded
gliders off the ground for the trip to Europe. As you can imagine, there was
quite a shock when the tow bomber took off and the shock of the glider take-off
traveled down the tow rope to the gliders still sitting on the ground. The
pull  on the undrawn tow rope, which gave it a typical 4x draw, enable the
rope to  take up the shock of glider take off. The ropes could just be used
once for this  purpose, but could be used for other purposes afterwards.

Enjoy the trivia!! One of the components of 6,6 nylon is adipic acid, which
 has been used as an activator in many low residue flux formulations...

Bill  Kenyon
Global Centre Consulting
3336 Birmingham Drive
Fort Collins, CO  80526
Tel: 970.207.9586   Cell: 970.980.6373

In a message dated 5/13/2009 3:13:40 P.M. Mountain Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> OK  Genny,
> seems to me as a ordinary 12V 4pole supply connector or like.  Why
bother.
> They are soldered by a million every day, and seemingly  they work.
Forget
> the 5aMSL, the manufacturer's way to point on the  possibility that they
> COULD absorb water vapor, but everything can do  that. If you do the
right
> thing you will manage those conns as well  as all other hundreds of
> assembly lines around. As someone said, if  too much humidity comes in,
> they'll pop, but you don''t know until  tested.
>

> Nylon ropes are a product of World War II,  developed when the United
> States assembled an army alpine division.  Starting from scratch, the
U.S.

http://listserv.ipc.org/archives
Please visit IPC web site  http://www.ipc.org/contentpage.asp?Pageid=4.3.16
for additional information,  or contact Keach Sasamori at [log in to unmask] or
847-615-7100  ext.2815

**************Recession-proof vacation ideas.  Find free things to do in
the U.S.