TECHNET Archives

May 2009

From:
Rick Bell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Rick Bell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 May 2009 15:59:32 -0500
I'd actively press the manufacturer for data on why they classified the connector as MSL 5a.  It costs money to ship parts in MBB's; hopefully, they didn't make that decision without some kind of data.

Alternately... this might be too simplistic of an approach, but you could expose a few connectors, and then run them through a reflow process once or twice.

A header like this is a very simple part.  There's no wire-bonded die or thin leadframe involved.  I'd suspect that any moisture delamination damage that would adversely affect the connector would be pretty apparent.

Assuming you can tolerate the risk, and in the absence of data from the manufacturer, if there isn't anything visibly or electrically wrong with the connector, I'd probably ignore the moisture warnings.

Again, that "assuming you can tolerate the risk" is a big caveat...

This communication is intended only for the use of the addressee and may contain information that is privileged and confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately.