DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

May 2009

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Martin Spizman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Fri, 15 May 2009 12:28:33 -0700
Well you certainly have made a god effort at crossing all your "T"s and dotting your "I"s.

First of all, I don't think there are "standard" notes for fabrications or assemblies since no two companies have exactly the same needs or products. In our case I created "General requirement" documents for the Fab and the PCBA levels and referenced these documents on the Fabrication/assembly drawings. This way I can add or change a requirement (like when the shift to the J-STD-609 happened) without having to re-issues all my drawings for all our assemblies. A simple "...mark per J-STD-609..." type statement should suffice if you have no other concerns.

We use the J-609 pretty much as written, but this is for our benefit as well as compliance. We have some leaded products that are still exempt and old product inventory that we sell to non-lead regulated countries. So we want our own people to know what they have in hand during each step of production and the standard is helpful for this.

If your CM (or in house production manager) is giving you grief for the miniscule labor of marking the boards, you may want to consider adding the marking to the silk-screen or top copper layer of the board. Eliminates the labor and satisfies RoHS (to the best of my knowledge).

Martin

Martin Spizman C.I.D.
  Circuit Board Designer
    Meyer Sound Laboratories Inc.