TECHNET Archives

April 2009

From:
Werner Engelmaier /* <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Apr 2009 15:44:23 -0400
 Hi Dave,
You are equating 'Functional Performance' Classes with reliability classes--they are not the same. I have tried, in the past nut unsuccessfully, to put a disclaimer into the scope of these documents, to alert the reader that only an appropriate 'Design-for-Reliability' would assure reliability.
While good quality is a requirement for reliability, it is far from sufficient. That is why we have IPC-D-279 and all the IPC-970x's. Neither IPC-6012 nor IPC-6013 were written with reliability being in any way addressed. There is at least one documented situation, where Class 3 product fails before Class 2 product.
If I can get Class 3 without cost penalty, sure, why not, but do I have to have it for reliable product---NO. In most cases, Class 3 is specified for contractual, not technical reasons, and because there is a more complete paper trail [which is not a bad thing].

Werner