TECHNET Archives

April 2009

From:
Louis Hart <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Louis Hart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Apr 2009 12:06:36 -0400
Joe, et al, If I am correct, the US has been using international units officially since 1890. At that time, I believe the Imperial units were legally defined in terms of the metric ones. (For whatever good that did.)

I largely refuse to use the Imperial units, unless asked, as many people, including engineers, often do. My wife is an artist who also does framing work (with a lot of help from me). Occasionally, I make a mistake and use the legitimate excuse that measuring, adding, etc, with the Imperial units most material suppliers provide set me up for an error. If I could use International units, chances of an error are enormously reduced. When I can start measurements from the beginning, on my own terms, I use international units and feel much more comfortable. So I see, in a very small way at first hand, some of the cost of using an outmoded system of units.

Incidentally, I have to admire the surveyors who, during the French Revolution, went all over the country during turbulent times with their strange equipment to determine how big a meter was.

Louis Hart