LEADFREE Archives

April 2009

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Dennis Fritz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Mon, 13 Apr 2009 13:37:44 -0400
Stephen

I don't think you got a response to this on LeadFree.? A better posting might have been to a smaller forum - "ComplianceNet" for IPC.? However, I am not sure you would have gotten anything there, either.?? I have not seen anything like this specific requirement.? However, I would say this is either very OLD information, or very NEW information.? The oldest printed circuit boards were copper clan paper phenolic resin.? Typically these were single sided - the kind in toys.? You might call these "Bakelite" boards as phenol formaldehyde resin is the bakelite thermosetting bakelite of the 30's and 40's.?

However, I think phenol, and hence phenolic resin could come up in the next round of REACH coming from Europe.? An awfully lot of monomers are on the next round of high concerns.? The bisphenol A (I don't think they mean that here, but you ought to check), is the big controversy now in the bottles athletes and babies.? Of course bisphenol A is a co-monomer of all the epoxies, and the Tetra bromo bisphenol A is the firestorm of halogen free laminates right now in our industry.? But I think phenol and formaldehyde for bakelite, vinyl chloride monomer for PVC, styrene and butadiene for rubber, the intermedieates for urethane, etc are all on the European watch list.? Stay tuned.?

You might want to check and see if the FR-4 you are using is one of the newer "novolac" epoxies.? I think that means there is a small amount of phenol added to aid in the cure and high temperature performance in lead-free use.?

Denny Fritz
MacDermid, Inc