TECHNET Archives

March 2009

From:
"Wenger, George M." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Wenger, George M.
Date:
Fri, 6 Mar 2009 03:02:09 -0500
This design does not work in the long run.  The worst
Hi Li Yi,

This design does not work in the long run.  The worst thing you can do

with a solder joint is to put it in a tensile load because the solder

joint will fail as your test has shown.  If you must use a U-shape pin

design it would be best to crimp the end of the pins after inserting

them into the PTH's so that the tensile stress is supported by the pins

and not the solder joint.

Regards,

George

George M. Wenger

Andrew Wireless Solutions

Senior Principal FMA / Reliability Engineer

40 Technology Drive, Warren, NJ 07059

(908) 546-4531 [Office]  (732) 309-8964 [Cell]