TECHNET Archives

March 2009

From:
Ted Tontis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Ted Tontis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Mar 2009 14:48:17 -0500
Werner,

            I do not disagree. All that paper work spells out is you get
what you asked for and you can produce it in a consistent fashion. The PPAP
process has nothing to do with how well a product is designed or how
reliable it is, it's all about processes. How are you going to keep them in
control, what measures you have in place, where are the areas of most
concern during the manufacturing process .. The only reason I brought it up
was because it sounded like there was a misconception that the auto industry
could just fix a problem and all would be right with the world. That doesn't
mean that they shouldn't have performed better testing, taken design advice
from their suppliers, used past history on older designs, or what ever else
they may have to help them design a new product.

I have had a chance to work with both foreign and domestic auto makers and
there are some that will sit and listen while others do not care, even if
you can prove a cost savings or increased reliability. Also Werner is right
there are a lot of parts for foreign cars are designed and manufactured in
the United States.

Thank you,

Ted

  _____