TECHNET Archives

March 2009

From:
"Thayer, Wayne" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Thayer, Wayne
Date:
Wed, 18 Mar 2009 12:17:14 -0400
I have had customers like this too.  These are the same guys who will bring up the theory of "acid traps" and are so scared of "exposed copper" (really just areas which aren't covered with mask which you don't intend to solder to) that they won't use it even if it improves yield. All of these are part of "good design folklore".

True, if metal under components can be avoided at no cost then that is preferable for rework/board mod/test issues.  But the improvement is extremely marginal unless the board is poorly designed and manufactured.  If a solder bridge does happen in an area which is not visually inspectable, then it is more expensive to diagnose.  But first we have to have bad mask design and/or placement, and then we have to have stray solder get under the part.

These same customers go berserk when you suggest using a single wire jumper to eliminate two layers of board and blind vias.  "How dare you start implementing 'white wires' before the first run is even made to work!".

Customer is "KING".  We make like they tell us.  It is our job as designers to tell them the consequences of what we perceive as micro-management (as long as we don't tick them off when we tell them!).

Wayne Thayer