TECHNET Archives

March 2009

From:
Pete Houwen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Pete Houwen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Mar 2009 11:24:33 -0500
wasn't the point of this excercise to acnowledge the move towards electronic,
rather than paper, data?  Some of the "Shall's" are really "used to be's"

It's FAR easier to track ECN data in a PDM system than to try to read
abbreviations and vague referneces that fit in a revision block.  Not to
mention often adding pages and pages of confusion that the current vendor
does not need.  Prior to our PDM system we had seperate documents in a
word processor based format.

"The initial release of a design will be given a (-) revision"  Is the IPC going to
dictate my company's potty break policy, too?  Is this really hard to figure out
whether a company uses A, B, C; 1, 2, 3, or A1, B1, C1?  Some PDM systems
haev revision numbering restrictions.  It's FAR more important that the drawing
matched the electronic history.

"the description shall identify whether the revision impacts form, fit,
function".  Is "and/or" missing?  It doesn't make sense otherwise.  FFF is the
reason for a revision (or new number)

"The method of excising individual boards shall be included in the assembly
pallet description".  This has to happen to some degree if you are specifying
the assembly panel, there are different separation spaces for v-grooves and
routes.  We do this as a rule anyway, for safety's sake.

"(or registration targets) shall be located on grid and on each layer".  We
leave this up to the fabricator, since it's off board.  Is this a bad practice?

"Unplated through hole patterns ... They shall be explicitly dimensioned and
toleranced, even if they occur on grid."  Again, the electronic data trumps this
requirement.  Some need to be dimensioned for reference and inspection, but
not all.