TECHNET Archives

March 2009

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Mar 2009 16:53:27 +0200
Well, I may be 76, but I remember, as a 12 y-o boy, in our first-year
chemistry class, putting some potassium nitrate in a test tube and
heating it. A glowing wood splint introduced in the tube suddenly burst
into flames. Now I wonder where that oxygen came from that caused this?
Maybe inorganic chemistry has changed its rules in the intervening 64
years??? :-)

Brian