ENVIRONET Archives

March 2009

EnviroNet@IPC.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
EnviroNet <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Mar 2009 13:56:52 EST
7bit
From:
Joe Fjelstad <[log in to unmask]>
Thanks Brian

As always, I appreciate reading your thoughts on this important  topic. I am
certain I won't be around to see if you are right but at least  there will be
(I trust) a record of your prediction for folks to look back on.

As for your final statement, I like your choice for a last word...  ;-)

It is challenging task to try and guess at the future and as you know  well,
depending on assumptions, final results can vary  widely. Many are predicting
a US population of 1 billion people in 2100 but  I read recently an
interesting paper by Paul Chefurka that  ties world population to energy wherein he
projects a total world  population of 1 billion people in 2100. Again I won't be
around for the final  results but he makes a thoughtful argument and
assessment.

http://www.courtfool.info/en_World_Energy_and_Population.htm

Below is his concluding statement:

Conclusions

"All the research I have done for this paper has convinced  me that the human
race is now out of time. We are staring at hard limits on our  activities and
numbers, imposed by energy constraints and ecological damage.  There is no
time left to mitigate the situation, and no way to bargain or  engineer our way
out of it. It is what it is, and neither Mother Nature nor the  Laws of
Physics are open to negotiation.

We have come to this point so  suddenly that most of us have not yet realized
it. While it may take another  twenty years for the full effects to sink in,
the first impacts from oil  depletion (the net oil export crisis) will be felt
within five years. Given the  size of our civilization and the extent to
which we rely on energy in all its  myriad forms, five years is far too short a
time to accomplish any of the  unraveling or re-engineering it would take to
back away from the precipice. At  this point we are committed to going over the
edge into a major population  reduction.

However, this does not mean that we should adopt a  fatalistic stance and
assume there is nothing to be done. In fact nothing could  be further from the
truth. The need for action is more urgent now than ever.  Humanity is not going
to go extinct. There are going to be massive and  ever-growing numbers of
people in dire need for the foreseeable future. We need  to start now to put
systems, structures and attitudes in place that will help  them cope with the
difficulties, find happiness where it exists and thrive as  best they can. We need
to develop new ways of seeing the world, new ways of  seeing each other, new
values and ethics. We need to do this with the aim of  minimizing the misery
and ensuring that as many healthy, happy people as  possible emerge from this
long trauma with the skills and knowledge needed to  build the next cycle of
civilization."

This was written in late 2007 make it 3.5 years now...

Best wishes
Joe
recession.
(http://jobs.aol.com/gallery/growing-job-industries?ncid=emlcntuscare00000002)