TECHNET Archives

February 2009

From:
Ted Tontis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Ted Tontis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Feb 2009 17:13:59 -0600
Doug,

            De-wetting occurs all over the assembly and pools in roughly the
same pattern. I am pretty sure the consistent pattern is due to the spray
pattern from our coater. SMT is the process prior to coating all operators
use gloves throughout the process from start to finish due to coating and
the assembly.

I just recently read about surface energy and I am in the process of
ordering a dyne pen. This was the first time I ever heard that surface
tension had a direct impact on coating.

Here is what we know

1.	We do know that boards from the same lot code might coat fine while
others show signs of de-wetting
2.	Populated and un-populated arrays have the same problems
3.	We sent out sample arrays to the coating supplier who cleaned them
in a vapor degreaser and when returned they coated fine. The material used
was Leksol AL
4.	completed a Zestron flux and resin test and they came back negative
5.	There is no way to tell if the board is going to coat until coating
is applied, nothing looks different between boards that will coat and ones
that wont.
6.	We have sent samples to a lab, ones that coated and ones that didn't
for comparison. This is the second time we have sent boards out for
evaluation. The first tests came back with nothing but only one array was
sent and that was prior to knowing that we had variation in our lots.
7.	Today we changed the coating and the carrier from 1B73AP to 1B73 and
had better results. We think it is because of the Methyl Ethyl Ketone in the
1B73 and it is lifting what ever is on the board allowing the coating to wet
better. Or because MEK is just at good at killing brain cells then it is for
thinning coating, we are hallucinating and seeing what we want to see.  Oh
look a bunny

Thank you,

Ted

  _____