TECHNET Archives

February 2009

From:
Douglas Pauls <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Feb 2009 16:32:41 -0600
Ted,
Where do you see the dewetting and what processes come before coating?

In my experience, dewetting comes three general sources:

1.  A problem with the surface energy of the component or solder mask.
This may be due to mold release agents or the slick nature of the plastic
itself.  You want surface energies in excess of 40 dynes/cm.  Surface
energies of 30-35 dynes/cm are a problem.  I use Dyne Pens as a quick
check.  Has there been a change in process or part supplier?

2.  A problem with a barrier material.  Again, it may be a mold release
agent, many of which are Teflon or sulfur based, or it may be a process
residue.  Could be silicone residues, could be fingerprints, could be any
number of things from second or third shift.

3.  Dewey Whittaker.

Doug Pauls
Rockwell Collins

Ted Tontis <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: TechNet <[log in to unmask]>
02/05/2009 03:56 PM
Please respond to
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>; Please respond to
Ted Tontis <[log in to unmask]>

cc

Subject
Re: [TN] Coating material

We are experiencing de-wetting upon application. We are using a PVA coater
and using the same ratio, 1 to 1. The problem is that it is interment
within
the same lot making it difficult to pin down.
Samples of bare boards as well as boards that coated fine and ones that
coated poorly have been sent out to a lab for eval.

Ted