TECHNET Archives

February 2009

From:
Gabriela <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Gabriela <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Feb 2009 19:51:09 +0200
Ioan,
While happier people than me and you are able to joke about this, I am not
at all.
We lost thousands of dollars because of this issue, and tried both the epoxy
and the permanent kapton stencil.
http://www.all-spec.com/1/viewitem/650-101/ALLSPEC/prodinfo/i=rss
Both can work on one condition:
If you can spot all the bad solder mask areas and aquire an excellent
adhesion between the applied material and the -sometimes very short
conductor between the BGA pad and the through hole.
It is important to clean thoroughly these conductors of solder, but it is a
sisific work.
If the through holes are solder filled or coated after pad surface
preparation the chances of success are smaller.
The solder on and in the holes reflows and the epoxy fill will float on
them, allowing new solder to seep through.
Applying the epoxy by non trained operators can result in a height
difference on the surface of the circuit which alters the paste deposition
through the ministencil and may lead to shorts after reflow.
Epoxy may bleed on solder pads too and you get opens.
I don't want to tell you how many X-rays I performed on such repairs.
You are right, reworking Lead free BGA's was even harder.
It was interesting for me to see that not all the circuits were badly
damaged during BGA removal and rework, and the difference was made by the
circuit manufacturer and/or the circuit design.
If hole plugging was required and done correctly , the chances of solder
flow were drastically diminished, and the loss of solder on the small
conductors was almost not important for reliability.
After rework we always check it by X-ray.
Sometimes , minor solder flow outside the pads causes smaller ball image
seen from above, but if you see a hourglass shape by tilting, you still may
have a connection.
My 2 cents.....
Good luck,
Gaby