TECHNET Archives

February 2009

From:
Mike Fenner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 3 Feb 2009 13:36:30 -0000
You need to relate what you might learn at APEX to your company's immediate
and company's/customers' future needs. And therefore be able to give your
boss some tangible ROI. IF you don't know what future needs are then that is
a good reason for going.

Going to a major show is a way of finding this sort of stuff out, not just
because the world's best are conference speaking and get-at-able, unlike
your local uni, but also the best supplier people are on the stands/booths
so you can speak to their experts too. Also you will be surrounded by your
peers so can have useful chats with them.

Your objective then can be spelled out to the boss something like this:
Short term
I will identify 3 things that we can implement in the next 1,2, 6 months.
The benefits will be........

Longer term
We will be able to......
Identify technology trends impact on customer needs and company response,
likely impact on capital expenditure or what ever.
Impact of new compliance legislation is......

Then as mentioned already you have to write a report saying what a good
decision it was to suggest you because you found out the following:

Alternatively a higher risk strategy is that you make a case for you both to
go and hope he ducks out. Of course he may go instead you, but next year it
will be easier to make the case for you to go as he knows the benefits.

Regards

Mike