TECHNET Archives

February 2009

From:
"Upton, Shawn" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Upton, Shawn
Date:
Tue, 17 Feb 2009 13:23:43 -0500
As I slowly get into shooting myself, I've spent some time looking at
the lead issue on that front.  Bullet casters (those who cast their own)
seem to have rather high concentrations of lead in their blood.  Don't
know if it comes from licking the molds afterwards or what, but it was
listed in several spots.  [I do my searching the "new" fashioned
way--Google--so I haven't kept track of references.]  It does not help
that most primers have some form of lead in them also; it seems really
fine lead dust (from the primer, from traces left on the bore if not
using jacketed rounds, and fragments from hitting the backstop, probably
a couple other places) is really easily absorbed (inhaled).  And of
course, it can land on skin or clothing or hair, and be injested at a
later date.  Or passed to other family members (washing machine, etc).

I read on one site this feller using basically a tumbler to clean brass.
That seems to me like a great way to airate any lead dust remaining on
the brass!  Hope he doesn't do it in his basement.

Anyhow, back to what I wondered about earlier: seems that decomposition
of lead bullets in the ground is one of those "depends" situations:
rounds that sink into deep water don't bother anything, shallow waters
can get ingested by critters (true on land too), but *some* soil types
can lead to more rapid decomposition.

Too bad that, after a couple thousand years of exposure, that we simply
haven't evolved to better tolerate the stuff...

Shawn Upton, KB1CKT
Test Engineer
Allegro MicroSystems, Inc
603.626.2429/fax: 603.641.5336