TECHNET Archives

February 2009

From:
Mike Fenner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 17 Feb 2009 10:52:58 -0000
There are too many variables in your questions to give dimensioned
Mixing Sn100C with SAC 305, assuming homogenous joint, would give a SAC
alloy with Ni and Ge modifiers/dopants, the precise mix of which is unknown.
Such alloys are available so you might take some comfort from that.
Mixing lead into the alloy changes the picture completely, before you were
looking at mixing alloys from the same or closely related series, some close
enough that the distinctions are sometimes only visible to Patent lawyers.
Now you are mixing alloy types. Here I suggest you look at the literature on
this subject, of which there is lots, as advised by Dave. This might be a
tad confusing but essentially you will see that as a minimum you must have
an homogenous joint and for that it needs to have been processed as for the
lead free alloy. If you don't have uniformity in the joint then it is more
likely to fail prematurely at the discontinuity. If you do then it is still
an unknown complex mix with properties not as good as the original separate
alloys. Certainly more difficult to understand and predict - unless you can
think in more than 3 dimensions.

Regards

Mike