TECHNET Archives

February 2009

From:
Tom Burek <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Tom Burek <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Feb 2009 14:58:47 -0700
Hi Denny,
Currently the specification for SN100C as the PCB finish is on the FAB
drawing.  I am told by the supplier it is applied in the same manner as
HASL.  The compatibility concern with the SAC solder is in a hand solder
operation of a component after the board has been processed through
reflow.  The technician is using a SnAgCu (SAC) solder to hand solder the
component.  Excluding for the moment the Lead Free issue, how would 63Sn -
37Pb do in this hand solder operation?

 I have read on this forum concerns about IMC layers affecting reliability
when mixing solder types and was pursuing that path with my question.  To
clarify my earlier statement about similarity to SnPb, I guess I meant to
say that most PCB suppliers I have spoken with prefer to use SN100C as the
HASL replacement for SnPb.

Thank you all for your responses.

Tom Burek, CID+

02/16/2009 02:19 PM

cc

Subject
Re: [TN] Lead Free solder compatibility

Tom,  I am not sure you understand the composition of SN100C - here goes:

SN100C(99.25Sn-0.7Cu-0.05Ni+Ge) that is 500 ppm nickel and something
under 100 ppm Germanium

SAC 305 is  (96.2Sn- 0.5Cu-3.0Ag)

Normal tin lead is (63Sn - 37Pb)

Can you see that all the "Lead-Free" compositions are at least 96% tin
compared to eutectic solder at 63%?

Your statement "most similar to standard SnPb HASL finish leaves the door
wide open - do you mean:

      In appearance - yes, SN100C is more shiney than other SAC alloys -
resembling tin lead
      In melting point - no, eutectic is at 183C and all the SACs are 220
or more.  I think, without the silver, SN100C is something like 228C.
     In wetting - 99.3Sn-.7Cu has been used a standard wave solder
lead-free for several years.  SN100C is a modification of that well known
alloy.  Germanium is particularly supposed to help wetting, I understand.
    In low copper erosion and improved drop shock resistance - I
understand that SN100C does improve those properties, back toward
performance by SnPb.  However, I have no comment on the th ermal cycle
resistance, until the NASA/DoD test work is finished - as mentioned by
Dave Hillman.

There is no exact drop-in for eutectic.  How is your SN100C applied to the
boards - by a converted HASL machine?

Denny Fritz
SAIC, Inc.