TECHNET Archives

February 2009

From:
Bev Christian <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Bev Christian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Feb 2009 16:24:46 -0500
Genny,
That's sort of like asking, "What is the monetary value of allegiance to your country or belief in God?"  People (well most people) would say those are good things, but as for a $$ "equivalent"?!  Not likely.  Is your boss a bean-counter? Or is he/she put off by the fact it is Las Vegas instead of Bismarck, North Dakota in January?

Benefits:
1) As noted in Ioan's e-mail, you won't find local courses that will give you what you want locally.  At least not unless you sign up at a university/college for a whole semester course (would your company want you out 2 hours, three times a week?)
2) Where else can you see 200+ vendors in one go?  What would it cost in plane fare to visit 10% of them?
3) If people don't take any part in standards development, then you have no say in them.  (Don't tell him/her a lot of it is now done via e-mails and teleconferences, including voting.)  Being there makes sure you represent your company and stop dangerous or foolish things being added into standards you may have to work to.  This assumes there are no other smart people on the committee, but hey, you are trying to make a point.  :)
4) Build up industry contacts so you have people you can go to for answers to questions.
5) Talk to industry experts when they give their papers - on cutting edge stuff that might be useful.

What you won't tell your boss:
1) Look at prospective employers
2) Have some fun

I have been going every year since the mid 1990s, including 2001, when I would have gone on my own $, if my employer of the next week after that APEX (RIM) had not agreed to my contract negotiation of them paying for the expenses of the trip.  I made it worth their money.

 Always, always write a good trip report.

Regards,
Bev
RIM