TECHNET Archives

February 2009

From:
"David D. Hillman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Feb 2009 08:28:57 -0600
Hi George!  Yep, you summarized the flux change right on the money, in
fact, here is an equation for what you said: "...allow a known about of
activators, which would tend for the sample under test to show a little
better solderability than if just water white rosin was used = consistency
and repeatability"!   The use of water white rosin served the industry
well for many years but as we changed to new component and printed circuit
board surface finishes, the WW rosin had too large of a safety factor and
would sometimes results in "false negative" solderability tests. The new
test flux formulation is better matched to the material sets the industry
is now using. Graham will have to let us know if it was a soldering
process variable or solderability test inconsistency that is causing the
problem.  A wetting balance test would provide a dynamic wetting
measurement that could be helpful too.

Dave

"Wenger, George M." <[log in to unmask]>
02/09/2009 08:15 AM

"TechNet E-Mail Forum" <[log in to unmask]>, <[log in to unmask]>
cc

Subject
RE: [TN] Part solderability

Dave,

Sorry but I just couldn't resist the opportunity to throw out my 2
cents.  "Nothing tests soldering better than soldering".  It is my
general understanding that the change to the flux in Revision B was to
allow a known about of activators, which would tend for the sample under
test to show a little better solderability than if just water white
rosin was used.  If Graham's component supplier indicates the components
pass 002 using the old flux they should certainly pass using the Rev. B
flux but since he's having soldering problems there is either something
wrong with his soldering process or there really is a solderability
problem that 002 isn't detecting.  My guess is the later and Graham is
finding out that Nothing tests soldering better than soldering".

Regards,
George
George M. Wenger
Andrew Wireless Solutions
Senior Principal FMA/Reliability Engineer
40 Technology Drive, Warren, NJ 07059
(908) 546-4531 (Office) (732) 309-8964 (cell)