LEADFREE Archives

February 2009

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
pearl petras <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 17 Feb 2009 08:22:46 -0800
We have a big debate going on right now.
We make a mix of products, some are RoHS, some are not, because they are legacy and they are sold into markets not RoHS (ie US).
We have a new product in development, geared only to US.  There are BGA's on it, only available in leadfree.  So we are using leadfree solder paste at the CM stage.  However, there are also hand-installed components - some are low value commodity parts only available out of Asia, that we cannot confirm RoHS status.  Others are whatever we can find, leaded or RoHS, due to production pressures.  Caps, connectors, etc.
The debate is whether to build with leaded or leadfree solder on the floor.  I don't want them using leadfree solder stations, because of the potential for them to think these stations are RoHS compliant.  They may become "contaminated" by the components used.  If the tools are then used for RoHS product, they could contaminate those products.
Others don't want to use leaded solder, because they think mixing solder types will cause reliability issues.
I completely understand their concerns when it involves something like installing a BGA in a reflow process, but this is hand soldering processes.  is there still a reliability issue in that type of circumstance?