TECHNET Archives

January 2009

From:
Ioan Tempea <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Ioan Tempea <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jan 2009 14:48:24 -0500
Dear Technos,

I have these PCB shaving a lot of small, but visible with unaided eye, Au or Cu particles on them, all over. I have sent Steve a couple of images, but in the mean time I would like to state my questions.

As per IPC-A-610D, 10.4.2, this is a defect condition. The exceptions at 5.2.6.1 say this would be acceptable if the particles were entrapped in flux, which is not the case.

Big part of the litter goes away if wiped with alcohol soaked cloth, but not all. Brushing will not remove the leftovers, which seem to be well attached to the soldermask, but a solid nail scratching will.

First of all: is this a defect?
Secondly, are there any better methods to clean than what I have tried? Plasma and other funky methods are not an option and solvent cleaning is probably not either, since the boards are already populated on one side with no-clean flux.

Thank you,

Ioan Tempea, ing.
Ingénieur Principal Fabrication / Sr. Manufacturing Engineer
30 ans déjà! - Already 30 years!
950 rue Bergar, Laval, Québec, H7L 5A1
t : 450-967-7100 ext : 244
Mtl : 514-990-5762
f : 450-967-7444
www.digico.cc <http://www.digico.cc/>
P N'imprimer que si nécessaire - Print only if you must