TECHNET Archives

January 2009

From:
Gene Felder <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 23 Jan 2009 11:02:20 -0800
Or forget having an ESD floor, and move the ESD sensitive items from ESD
workstation to ESD workstation enclosed in shielding bags.

One of the free ESD Association standards is Packaging, ANSI/ESD S541,
available for download at http://esda.org/keydownloads.html

Many ESD protected areas are similar to Figure 2 Examples of EPA
Configurations, no ESD Floor.

Per ANSI/ESD S20.20-2007 section 8.3 ESD Protected Areas (EPAs)] "Handling
of ESDS parts, assemblies and equipment without ESD protective covering or
packaging shall be performed in an EPA." [ANSI/ESDS20.20 section 8.3]
NOTE: An EPA can consist of a single workstation, entire room or building.
An EPA [ESD protected area] shall be established wherever ESDS [ESD
Sensitive] products are handled. However, there are many different ways to
establish ESD controls within an EPA. Table 3 lists some optional ESD
control items which can be used to control static electricity. For those ESD
control items that are selected for use in the ESD Control Program, the
required limits and test methods for that item becomes mandatory."

Gene Felder