TECHNET Archives

January 2009

From:
Gene Felder <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 23 Jan 2009 08:12:53 -0800
Per Table 3 of ANSI/ESD S20.20-2007, ESD Flooring is to be < 1 x 10E9 ohms.
Bare concrete would likely pass some of the time.  Concrete is hygroscopic,
readily absorbs moisture from the air.  It would be the contaminated water,
not the concrete, providing the path to ground.

So, one likely could collect data to show that at a level of relative
humidity or higher, the RTG < 1 x 10E9 ohms could reliably be met.  Then,
stop work when the relative humidity hits a certain level.

Covering the bare concrete with dissipative floor finish, conductive paint,
or using grounded ESD mats would be the recommended solution.

Gene Felder