TECHNET Archives

January 2009

From:
Guy Ramsey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 21 Jan 2009 19:30:59 -0500
We use Amtech 4300 and clean with DI water.
We have not had problems with cleaned boards and we could not induce
problems on cleaned boards.

While classified as L0, which might suggest that it could be used as a
"no-clean", we have found that it is not suitable for us as a "no-clean"
flux for rework applications in our customers service environment.

1. In its green state we were able to grow dendrites on test boards very
easily. We were able to grow dendrites in the residue from the wire core
solder. After seeing reflow temperatures we could not grow dendrites. So, as
a rework flux there are some issues.

2. In humid environments, during cold tests where the boards are subject to
frost, we found the residue became corrosive and it was again easy to grow
dendrites in the residue.

This is not an IPC test, I don't think there are any makers of flux that
would suggest the flux residue be exposed to a condensing environment.

So, is it real? It depends. It is not SMQ-92J. We found the residue of this
material to be much more stable in our tests.

Then there is the paste performance itself. 92J is really nice stuff on the
one hand, on the other we were not as happy with their Pb-Free materials.
Maybe they are getting better formulas.

We have been very happy with LF-4300 paste performance and consistency.

The upside on our line is one flux and one cleaning process for everything.

The downside is the residues do not behave like rosin based flux residue.

If they did, they would not wash off very easily would they?