TECHNET Archives

January 2009

From:
Mike Fenner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 21 Jan 2009 10:32:32 -0000
Hi Steve
It may be a photo construct, but everything looks dulled with a patina of
something to me..
The white residues in the repair area look like flux puddling which has not
been completely removed. The area around the nut/bolt looks different,
ingress of something into damaged laminate area, but looking at a picture is
not the same as eyeballing direct!

The heating idea is a pretty good diagnosis, short of a pukka lab
examination. Flux resins melt from say 80C, so if you have partially removed
them they will melt and revert back to clear, thereby becoming invisible.
So the question would be why didn't they clean off properly?

So this may be a cleaning issue or possibly
- The resist is slightly porous from under curing or some reason. Try
pre-baking a board for a couple of hours before dabbing some flux on and
cleaning and then seeing if you generate white residues. Do the same with an
unbaked board and an un-fluxed board at the same time as a control.

- Another possibility: incompatibility. The rework flux is in someway
incompatible with the original flux and the cleaner is "developing" that
incompatibility like a photo. If you are using an IPA based liquid flux for
rework and this is applied to a normal resin base flux residue, the original
residue doesn't see as you do, another flux. It responds to the IPA and
partially dissolves in it. Partially removed flux is generally harder to
remove the second time around. This is very much the case with very low
solids no resin/rosin flux types which in this context are really just dirty
IPA. Alternatively the cleaner is set/selected for the assembly flux not the
rework material.

Hope this helps

Regards

Mike Fenner