TECHNET Archives

January 2009

From:
Lee Whiteman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jan 2009 08:23:54 -0500
I've had mixed results, primarily on BGA's.

One example had a supplier provided reballed components perfectly. One
instance, a supplier reballed the component using a 260C peak
temperature, roasting the component.

My general rule of thumb is to not reball because the component (BGA)
will see at least 2 thermal cycles in its life cycle.

The refinishing process has to be closely monitored to assure that the
components do not get thermally stressed. Not only do you have to worry
about the cost of refinishing the component but also the lead time and
the reliability of the component. The warranty of some components become
invalid if you refinish the components so check with the component
manufacturer on thermal and warranty concerns.

I would be concerned about having the new finish come in contact with
the component body. But that is a Catch 22. Assuming that you have a tin
plated devices, if you don't go to the component body, you're
susceptible to tin whiskers. If you do go to the component body, you
could be thermally stressing the component.

Hope this helps from the frozen tundra of Camden, New Jersey. I think
I'll go to the reflow ovens to defrost...

Lee Whiteman, PMP
Senior Member Engineering Staff
L-3 Communications East
Telephone: (856) 338-3508