TECHNET Archives

December 2008

From:
Robert Kondner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 9 Dec 2008 08:57:03 -0500
Hi,

  I have a general question about:

  Solder joint strains cause by thermal expansion differences.

  It would seem to me that cooling of a assembly after reflow would
introduce built in strains. It seems very much like a pre-stressed concrete
beam. It would seem that exposing a device to cold temperature would
increase these stresses.

Question:

  Do crystals in a solder ball "Flow" at room temperature?

  Can a solder ball be annealed with a soak at some temperature?

Thanks,
Bob Kondner