TECHNET Archives

December 2008

From:
Grunde Gjertsen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Dec 2008 07:45:07 +0100
Does anybody know if the parameters for td, ctez and moisture absorbtion
will be tightened up in the new edition?
In the B revision these parameters very much on the conservative for the
"RoHS compliant" materials, in my opinion the gap between actual
parameters for the materials and 4101B is now too large.

Best regards
Grunde

Werner engelmaier <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: TechNet <[log in to unmask]>
04.12.2008 00:12
Please respond to
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>; Please respond to
Werner engelmaier <[log in to unmask]>

cc

Subject
[TN] Fwd: Draft for IPC-4101C

 Guys & Gals,
Doug Sober wrote:

"I admit that we promised you consideration
for the C Revision.? We do need some testimonials for people that feel
that it
has value.

For sure your recipe makes sense and it does
provide a guide to lead-free assembly compatibility, however the materials
picked by this method are normally the higher Tg, higher priced and more
specialized FR-4.?

Customers cannot always purchase
specification sheet 126 materials.

But I would be willing to listen to the
testimonials. ?It is not going to happen for this revision however.

Doug"

Keep those 'testimonials' coming. I guess we do technology by democratic
principles.

Of course, you do not need /126 for most applications. My take on the 12
keyworded:
"Lead-free-FR-4" slash-sheet material groups in the C-rev is as follows:

For Rev. C (Final Draft) /126, /129, /130 and /131 are fully compatible
with
/126 and /130 being the best choices because of their lower CTE(z), and
/99,
/124, /125 and /128 limited; the others [/101, /121, /122, /127]
keyworded:
"Lead-free-FR-4' may be problematic with LF-soldering temperatures.

Just for reference, for Rev. B, /126 and /129 are fully compatible, /99
and
/124 to a more limited extent.

You should have an easily-applied tool to pre-select materials likely
meeting your needs.

Regards,

Werner Engelmaier

Engelmaier Associates, L.C.

Electronic Packaging, Interconnection and Reliability Consulting

7 Jasmine Run

Ormond Beach, FL 32174 USA

Phone: 386-437-8747, Cell: 386-316-5904

E-mail: [log in to unmask], Website: www.engelmaier.com