TECHNET Archives

December 2008

From:
Michael Kirschner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Michael Kirschner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Dec 2008 14:08:38 -0600
Oh I doubt it wants to be something as obsolete as a CD; more likely it sees
virtual existence as a FLAC file as something to strive for.

In any case, see 14.17 in http://www.faqs.org/faqs/AudioFAQ/part7/ . The
squeal problem could be the mechanism in the cassette (there are a couple
guides that maybe need to be oiled...VERY carefully and lightly - but I've
never heard of or done this) or, more likely and especially if they are
Ampex cassette tapes, it's the dreaded binder problem spoken of in the FAQ.
I have this problem with many old Ampex 456/457 open reel and "GrandMaster"
cassette tapes. Ampex blew the formula; Maxell, for example, did not so
their tapes still play back fine (if they've been stored relatively well).
Baking at 130 degrees F for an hour or two for the open reels resolves the
binder problem temporarily, but long enough to be able to play them back and
capture the audio on the tape. The bake time for a cassette would probably
be somewhat shorter, maybe 45 to 75 minutes? Try it and see (preferably
initially on something that isn't very important) but do not go above 140F.

Mike