TECHNET Archives

December 2008

From:
"Nieznanski, John A - SSD" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Nieznanski, John A - SSD
Date:
Thu, 18 Dec 2008 18:54:36 -0500
Hi Werner,

Thanks again for the explanation.

However from my last example, I was only questioning why you switched over to using N50 instead of N10 in my calculation. Was this simply a typo, or something else?

In my simple example, once I have my first failure in a single daisy chain of 10 components, I think I can claim to calculate Nf (10%, component) as:

Nf(10%,component) = Nf(10%,m daisy-chained components) * [m]^(1/BETA)

                  = 800 * (10)^1/4

                  = 1422

Do you agree? Your calculation replaced my 10% value with a 50% value with no explanation, which puzzled me.

I understand N50. I agree that taking that first failure in a chain of 10 parts to be N50 is conservative. I also agree that 10 parts is a small sample size and compromises statistical robustness. However, is it so small that we can't apply this kind of statistical analysis to a chain of this size?

John