TECHNET Archives

December 2008

From:
"Gumpert, Ben" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Gumpert, Ben
Date:
Mon, 15 Dec 2008 06:54:20 -0500
Phil,

I used some of Indium's no-flow underfill recently, and while I can't
tell you how it works, I can tell you that it does, and I applied the
material right over the pads. (I used it on a flip chip, not a PoP.)

For PoP I wonder what ball coverage you can achieve. The goal of
underfill is to completely encapsulate the ball from board to package
body. But with a PoP, if you make a ring of material covering the pads
that fills the gap between the board and the component, then you are
creating an air pocket that will want to go somewhere when it expands
through reflow.

Perhaps you could apply material to the corners only, or leave a gap on
one side?

Ben