LEADFREE Archives

December 2008

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Werner engelmaier <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Tue, 9 Dec 2008 18:10:22 -0500
 Hi Dave,
So, where is our disagreement?
Werner

-----Original Message-----
From: [log in to unmask]
To: (Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum) <[log in to unmask]>; Werner engelmaier <[log in to unmask]>
Cc: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 8:17 am
Subject: Re: [LF] Pro's and Con's of using Immersion Silver

Hi Werner! I respectfully disagree with
your overall surface finish summary. All surface finishes have their disadvantages/advantages
and just because a surface finish can be produced "bad" doesn't
mean it shouldn't be considered for use on a printed wiring design. If
I were to take the conservative approach, we probably wouldn't have used
HASL due to its inconsistency of thickness and solderability characteristics.
Precious metal embrittlement (aka gold, silver, palladium) occurs if the
plating is too thick and/or the soldering process is out of control - root
causes that can be corrected and prevented without eliminating the use
of a specific surface finish. I am a big fan of the immersion silver surface
finish and I typically recommend that design teams do not use ENIG because
of the possibility of black pad and the attributes of soldering to nickel
- but, we successfully use ENIG on a number of product designs by working
with our board fabricators and enforcing specific process requirements.
All of the printed wiring board surface finishes should belong in a design
team's tool box and as technoweenies, we should provide the design teams
the complete picture of positives and
 negatives for using a particular
surface finish in a product use environment.

As always, printed wiring board surface
finishes seems to be a great forum discussion topic.

Dave Hillman

Rockwell Collins

Werner engelmaier <[log in to unmask]>

Sent by: Leadfree <[log in to unmask]>

12/08/2008 09:18 PM

Please respond to

"(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)" <[log in to unmask]>;
Please respond to

Werner engelmaier <[log in to unmask]>

cc

Subject

Re: [LF] Pro's and Con's
of using Immersion Silver

 Hi Bob,

Wished things would be as easy as made out in those old reports--I think
the advice from this unnamed CALCE-person is pretty much on the mark, with
the exception of switching if ENIG works for you and you have a stable
supplier---if it works, keep it.

However, I would not advice a client without an or a good ENIG-history,
to use ENIG.  Too many pit-falls.

A lot has been called 'Black Pad'---failures showing too much P at the
surface, failures showing too little or no P at the surface, failures showing
'hyper-galvanic corrosion' along the Ni-grain boundaries, failures showing
fully etched-out Ni grain boundaries all the way down and into the underlying
Cu, even failures showing brittle interfacial separation because of20solderability
issues.

Except for the last, all of these show Ni on the PCB-side and SnNi-IMC
on the solder joint side.

Too much Pat the surface can be result from too much co-plated P in the
Ni, but also because of too much Ni disolved in the solder-Sn leaving the
P behind; too little P is clearly a Ni-plating issue.

ImAg works just fine as long as you do not expose it to sulfur-containing
paper.

Gold has not "been successfully used for decades (before SMT)",
but has caused Au-embrittlement failures. These old PCBs would indeed be
serviceable, but only if the Au was washed off prior to soldering. The
change came with the self-limiting ImAu plating. Ag, if improperly stored,
can indeed tarnish. But ImAg is also different than electrolytic Ag-plating
and also prevents

 Ag-embrittlement.