IPC-600-6012 Archives

December 2008

IPC-600-6012@IPC.ORG

From:
Dennis Fritz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Combined Forum of D-33a and 7-31a Subcommittees)
Date:
Tue, 23 Dec 2008 08:32:59 -0500
Tino,

Intel has done a fair amount of work to quantify pad cratering.  Here is a rather poor picture I lifted from one of their presentations showing the epoxy resin fracture under the BGA pad.  You can see that if the epoxy is cracked, there is nothing to support the copper trace, and that will fracture with thermal cycle.  I will see if I can find the full Intel article.  Denny.