DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

December 2008

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
James Jackson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Thu, 4 Dec 2008 10:30:16 -0600
RE: If the local chapters are not active and the designer council is not
actively working on keeping them alive, who is insuring that the standards
are current? Have there been any active groups making or suggesting changes
or amendments to the current standards?

This is a good question.

I believe... and I may be wrong about this... (it's based on the last time I
asked - several years ago)... anyone can help with the standards - all you
need to do is volunteer.

Although - even if you volunteer - it does not guarantee that your help will
be accepted. (I've had that happen once or twice).

Good question about 'who is insuring that the standards are current?'

My question is "Who is insuring that the proposed standards are correct - and
the figures match the text - and that the text does not conflict with other
parts of the standard?"

I cannot tell you the number of times that I've opened the standards that I
have - only to find that it does not make sense. Or... the Figure that they
are calling out - does not exist - or is incorrectly numbered... etc.

(...and yes, I've contacted the IPC when I found issues - and was referred to
the 'committee chair-person' who then blew me off)

Listen up folks at the IPC! - I work for an ISO 9000 company. We're
referencing the IPC documents in our documentation. Many times the IPC
documentation is incorrect. It would fail ISO standards - if it were judged
by ISO.

As for me... I've given up long ago 'volunteering' for any IPC-related
activities. Yes, I will purchase the standards - when I need to - but I
realize that they are not accurate and filled with errors.

Okay. That's my rant for the day.

Regards,

James Jackson
Oztronics